Carbon Monoxide: A Deadly Gas Every Homeowner Should Be Cautious Of

You may have heard of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, but have you considered that the danger may be lurking in your own Norfolk home? This potentially deadly gas is colorless and odorless, so people affected by expose to it are often unaware that they’re in danger. Here’s what you need to know about carbon monoxide.

  • carbon monoxide detectorCO levels can build up – Carbon monoxide can build up when gas- or wood-burning appliances are used indoors without proper ventilation. Generators and portable stoves are sources of the deadly gas as well, so be sure not to use these in your home.
  • It’s difficult to detect – Those affected by the gas can develop symptoms including dizziness, nausea, confusion and chest pain. These symptoms may be mistakenly linked to other conditions, so people who are exposed to the gas may not realize that their home is the source of the problem.
  • Common home appliances are sources – Many home heating systems and water heaters are two common sources of carbon monoxide. It’s important for these appliances to be inspected by a professional at least once each year to ensure they’re properly vented for the safety of home occupants.
  • Some are more susceptible than others – While everyone’s at risk for experiencing dangerous or even fatal symptoms, certain people are at a greater risk. People who have heart disease, anemia or respiratory conditions are more susceptible to serious symptoms. Babies and unborn infants are also at greater risk.
  • Detectors can save lives – Preventing dangerous situations is the best way to avoid the health issues associated with exposure to this gas, but these efforts aren’t always successful. Use carbon monoxide detectors for added safety. These battery-operated devices work much like a smoke detector and have saved lives.

If you want to keep your home safe from this dangerous carbon monoxide, contact Victory · Heating · Air Conditioning · Plumbing for help.We provide preventive services that include ventilation checks. V is for Victory and safe ventilation in your Woonsocket home.

Image via Shutterstock.com

This entry was posted in Things You Should Know and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.