Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors have become an essential household safety appliance, and for good reason. There are many potential CO-producing appliances that people use in their homes, including furnaces, water heaters, portable generators, fireplaces, and other combustion appliances or systems, all of which can malfunction and introduce this deadly gas into your home. Luckily, carbon monoxide detectors are readily available and very reliable. However, if you don’t know where to place carbon monoxide detectors, they won’t be able to fully protect you.
Here are some general guidelines for strategic placement of your CO detectors, to help ensure that you and your family are as safe as possible in your home:
- First and foremost, read the manual for your CO detectors thoroughly before installing, to ensure you know how to properly use and maintain them.
- In every sleeping area of your house, at least one detector should be placed in the hallway outside the bedrooms.
- For maximum protection, each bedroom and level of your house should have a detector.
- Try to avoid locations near heating vents, or any space where the detector could become covered by furniture, curtains, etc.
- To avoid false readings, carbon monoxide detectors should not be placed in the kitchen, or near any fuel-burning appliance in your home
- Do not place detectors in very humid areas, such as bathrooms.
- Consider that even though carbon monoxide is essentially the same weight as air, it can be carried by warm air from a heating appliance, causing it to rise. Take this in to account when deciding how high to place your detectors.
Every house is different, so placement may vary depending on the shape and size of your home. To be sure your carbon monoxide detectors are placed perfectly for your maximum protection, contact a professional at Victory • Heating • Air Conditioning • Plumbing. Always be aware that carbon monoxide poisoning is a potential threat in your home, so figure out exactly where to place carbon monoxide detectors in your home for utmost utility, and never ignore sign of possible CO exposure.
Image via Shutterstock.com