With spring in full swing in Bellingham, it’s time to attend to your warm weather to-do list. In addition to preventive air conditioner maintenance to keep your system working safely and efficiently all summer, improving home safety is essential for preventing accidents and expensive damage to your home.
This weekend, cross another thing off of your to-do list and go over this home safety hazard checklist to ensure your home — and the people in it — stay safe all summer long.
- Check the cords and power strips in your home and replace those that are frayed or that have loose prongs or plugs.
- Make sure your outlets aren’t overloaded. It’s always safer to use one plug per outlet, or plug in a UL-rated power strip to hold more cords.
- Cover any exposed outlets or wires in your home.
- Replace any appliances that smoke, spark, short out or overheat.
- Move all flammable liquids, such as gasoline and paint thinners, to the garage. Make sure the liquids are in their original containers and that the lids are tightly closed.
- Keep combustible materials, including adhesives and cleaning agents, at least 15 feet away from combustible appliances such as your furnace and water heater.
- Use household cleaning agents for cleaning inside the home, avoiding flammable liquids.
- Keep oily rags inside a metal container with a lid.
- Clear your home of piles of newspapers, broken furniture, unused mattresses and other combustibles.
- Keep all household items, including furniture and clothes, away from heat sources, combustion appliances and electrical equipment.
- Remove piles of dry yard debris away from your home.
- Make sure heaters and candles are at least 5 feet away from curtains and furniture.
- Only use portable heaters with an automatic shut-off switch. Never plug heaters into an extension cord.
- Change your HVAC air filter when it’s dirty to prevent your system from overheating
For more expert advice on home safety, please feel free to contact us at Victory Heating & Air Conditioning, We provide plumbing, heating and cooling services to Bellingham residents with a high level of customer satisfaction.
Image via Shutterstock.com